A foreign degree can be recognised as equivalent to a domestic degree by the academic head.
This means the degree is fully equivalent to the Austrian degree, the right to use the corresponding Austrian academic degree and the right to exercise the professions associated with this degree in Austria.
Within the European Union or the European Economic Area as well as Switzerland the recognition of a foreign degree is not required, since the access to a number of academic professions is regulated by separate directives and nationals of these states have direct access to the profession.
In order to pursue further studies the recognition of a degree is generally not required.
All documents have to be submitted either as an original or as an authenticated copy. Please note that the diploma certificate has to be presented as an original.
Foreign language documents must be translated into German or English by a certified legal translator. The certified translation must be firmly attached to the original document or authenticated copy.
All foreign documents must be duly authenticated, if required by international agreements (see question: What is authentication?) Please note that the translation itself must also be authenticated if the country in which the translation was done is not exempt from authentication.
1. Proof that the recognition is mandatory for practicing the profession or for the continuation of the applicant's education in Austria
2. Curriculum vitae (short, with special consideration of the educational background)
3. Birth certificate and any documents concerning a change of name (e.g. marriage certificate), if the study certificates are in a previous name
4. Certificate of citizenship
5. Passport or identity card
6. Certificate on the completion of studies and on the award of the academic degree (diploma certificate)
7. Curriculum of the foreign degree program
8. Optional: further documents about the foreign studies as detailed as possible, e.g. study book, study guide, examination certificates, graduation certificates, internship certificates, ...
9. Optional: University entrance certificate if there is a connection with the foreign study (shortened study period due to recognition of previous study periods, ...)
NOTE: Sufficient German language skills are absolutely necessary for the attendance and completion of any compensatory measures at FH Campus Wien. Proof of this must be submitted prior to admission as an external student. Thus, the attendance and completion of the compensatory measures is only possible once the proof of sufficient German language skills has been provided.
Required German level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages:
*Special regulations for recognition procedures in "Health Care and Nursing" as of the winter semester 2023/2024:
As a contribution to combating the nursing shortage in Austria, for the recognition procedure it is sufficient for the applicants in the field of health care and nursing to provide a German certificate at B1 level together with the proof of active attendance of a German language course at B2 level to be able to start the compensation measures. This regulation will apply from the winter semester 2023/2024 and for the time being until the end of the summer semester 2025.
The following proofs are accepted in particular (exemplary list for level B2):
No, an application for the recognition of a foreign degree can be submitted at any time, provided that all documents can be presented.
Step 1: Applicant: Submission of documents
Step 2: Applicant: Payment of invoice
Step 3: FH Campus Wien: Checking the documents
Step 4: Applicant/FH Campus Wien: Competence assessment (if necessary)
Step 5: FH Campus Wien: Preparation of the expert report
Step 6: FH Campus Wien: Dispatch of the expert report within the framework of the notification for the taking of evidence
Step 7: Applicant: possibility to comment on the expert report
Step 8: FH Campus Wien: decision
Step 9: FH Campus Wien: Dispatch of the decision
Step 10: Applicant: Possibility of appeal
Step 11: Applicant: In case of a positive conditional decision: Registration with the degree programme for completion of the compensatory measures
The recognition of a degree costs € 150,-.
Should the procedure be positively concluded on a conditional basis, individual courses/ internships/ seminars etc. must be completed. The exact number of compensatory measures to be completed is individual and cannot be stated in advance.