Details

Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

Competence Centre for IT-Security
Academic Staff


T: +43 1 606 68 77-2470
F: +43 1 606 68 77-2469

Room: B.2.15
Favoritenstraße 226
1100 Wien

Personal Webspace


Lectures 2019/20

Applied Life Sciences

> Network and Internet Technologies ILV
Bioinformaticsmore

Network and Internet Technologies ILV

Lector: Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

1 SWS
2 ECTS

Lecture contents

Internet survey
Internet-of-Things / Biothings survey
LoRaWAN Project
IT-Security basics
Genome browser basics

Assessment methods

Written exam & practical exercises

Teaching methods

lecture, exercises, inverted classroom

Language

German

Engineering

> Applied Microcontroller Programming UE
Applied Electronicsmore

Applied Microcontroller Programming UE

Lector: FH-Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Herbert Paulis, Eveline Prochaska, BSc MSc, Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

2.5 SWS
5 ECTS

Lecture contents

Applied µC programming:
read and interpret sensor data, implementaion and application of two-wire bus systems (I²C, SPI). Special tricks and techniques of µC programming are introduced and discussed.

Assessment methods

permanent assessment

Teaching methods

practical exercise

Language

German

> Bachelor paper 1 SE
Information Technologies and Telecommunicationmore

Bachelor paper 1 SE

Lector: DI Jochen Hense, MBA, Dipl.-Ing. Heimo Hirner, FH-Prof. DI Dr. Igor Miladinovic, Mag. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Wolfgang Radinger-Peer, MBA, FH-Prof.in Mag.a Dr.in Sigrid Schefer-Wenzl, MSc BSc, Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc, Bernhard Taufner, BSc, MSc, DI Mathias T

1 SWS
5 ECTS

Lecture contents

Composition of a term paper covering an IT-security, software engineering or Telecommunication related topic of either the student's own choice or a given one, considering the foundations of academic research and writing

Assessment methods

Continuous examination

Teaching methods

Periodic presentations by the students, discussion, coaching

Language

German

> Bachelor paper 2 SE
Information Technologies and Telecommunicationmore

Bachelor paper 2 SE

Lector: DI Jochen Hense, MBA, Dipl.-Ing. Heimo Hirner, FH-Prof. DI Dr. Igor Miladinovic, Mag. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Wolfgang Radinger-Peer, MBA, Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc, Bernhard Taufner, BSc, MSc

1 SWS
8 ECTS
> Convergent Networks VO
Information Technologies and Telecommunicationmore

Convergent Networks VO

Lector: Dipl.-Ing. Heimo Hirner, Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

1 SWS
2 ECTS
> Convergent Networks VO
Information Technologies and Telecommunicationmore

Convergent Networks VO

Lector: Dipl.-Ing. Heimo Hirner, Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

1 SWS
2 ECTS
> Current Issues in IT Security SE
Information Technologies and Telecommunicationmore

Current Issues in IT Security SE

Lector: Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

1 SWS
2 ECTS

Lecture contents

Web Security
Exploits
Overflows
Awareness
Bot Nets
Applied Security
Penetration Testing Tools

Assessment methods

Term Paper and Presentation

Teaching methods

Lectures, Inverted Classroom, Remote/Distance Learning

Language

German

> Current Issues in IT Security SE
Information Technologies and Telecommunicationmore

Current Issues in IT Security SE

Lector: Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

1 SWS
2 ECTS

Lecture contents

Web Security
Exploits
Overflows
Awareness
Bot Nets
Applied Security
Penetration Testing Tools

Assessment methods

Term Paper and Presentation

Teaching methods

Lectures, Inverted Classroom, Remote/Distance Learning

Language

German

> Elective Project 1 UE
Computer Science and Digital Communicationsmore

Elective Project 1 UE

Lector: DI Dr. techn. Mugdim Bublin, FH-Prof. DI Thomas Fischer, Dipl.-Ing. Heimo Hirner, Dipl.-Ing. Manuel Koschuch, Bakk.techn., FH-Prof. DI Dr. Igor Miladinovic, Mag. Reinhard Rader, Mag. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Wolfgang Radinger-Peer, MBA, Silvia Schmidt, MSc BS

1 SWS
4 ECTS

Language

German

> Internet of Things ILV
Computer Science and Digital Communicationsmore

Internet of Things ILV

Lector: Dipl.-Ing. Heimo Hirner, Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

3 SWS
5 ECTS

Lecture contents

(ONLY IN GERMAN - 27.02.2018)
Im Internet of Things (IoT) werden physische Gegenstände über digitale Netzwerke, wie das Internet, vernetzt und virtuell verfügbar gemacht. Neben der einfachen und kostensparenden Netzwerkanbindung dieser Gegenstände ist die Entwicklung von automatisierten digitalen Netzwerkdiensten, die den zusätzlichen Nutzen der Vernetzung realisieren, Ziel des IoT. Das IoT geht einher mit Begriffen wie Industrie 4.0, oder Ubiquitous Computing.
Die LV deckt insbesondere die folgenden Inhalte ab:
- IoT Netzwerkarchitektur und Design
- Smarte Objekte
- IoT Access Technologien
- Applikationsprotokolle für das IoT
- Datenanalyse im IoT
- IoT Datenanalyse und Management
- IoT in der Industrie

Assessment methods

Final exam

Teaching methods

(ONLY IN GERMAN - 27.02.2018)
Vortrag, praktische Übungen, Fernlehreaufgaben

Language

English

> Internet of Things ILV
Computer Science and Digital Communicationsmore

Internet of Things ILV

Lector: Dipl.-Ing. Heimo Hirner, Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

3 SWS
5 ECTS

Lecture contents

(ONLY IN GERMAN - 27.02.2018)
Im Internet of Things (IoT) werden physische Gegenstände über digitale Netzwerke, wie das Internet, vernetzt und virtuell verfügbar gemacht. Neben der einfachen und kostensparenden Netzwerkanbindung dieser Gegenstände ist die Entwicklung von automatisierten digitalen Netzwerkdiensten, die den zusätzlichen Nutzen der Vernetzung realisieren, Ziel des IoT. Das IoT geht einher mit Begriffen wie Industrie 4.0, oder Ubiquitous Computing.
Die LV deckt insbesondere die folgenden Inhalte ab:
- IoT Netzwerkarchitektur und Design
- Smarte Objekte
- IoT Access Technologien
- Applikationsprotokolle für das IoT
- Datenanalyse im IoT
- IoT Datenanalyse und Management
- IoT in der Industrie

Assessment methods

Final exam

Teaching methods

(ONLY IN GERMAN - 27.02.2018)
Vortrag, praktische Übungen, Fernlehreaufgaben

Language

English

> IT Security Fundamentals ILV
Computer Science and Digital Communicationsmore

IT Security Fundamentals ILV

Lector: Dipl.-Ing. Manuel Koschuch, Bakk.techn., Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

2 SWS
4 ECTS

Lecture contents

The course gives a basic overview of the technical and organizational aspects of IT security, and defines the most important terms and technologies in this context.
The LV in particular covers the following contents:
- Protection goals
- Asymmetric and symmetric primitives (AES, RSA, ECC) and their practical applications
- PKIs
- TLS/HTTPS
- Firewalls Fundamentals (types, possible uses, limitations)
- ID(P)S Fundamentals (types, applications, limitations)
- security awareness

Assessment methods

Continuous assessment

Teaching methods

practical (lab) exercises, lecture

Language

English

> IT Security Fundamentals ILV
Computer Science and Digital Communicationsmore

IT Security Fundamentals ILV

Lector: Dipl.-Ing. Manuel Koschuch, Bakk.techn., Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

2 SWS
4 ECTS

Lecture contents

The course gives a basic overview of the technical and organizational aspects of IT security, and defines the most important terms and technologies in this context.
The LV in particular covers the following contents:
- Protection goals
- Asymmetric and symmetric primitives (AES, RSA, ECC) and their practical applications
- PKIs
- TLS/HTTPS
- Firewalls Fundamentals (types, possible uses, limitations)
- ID(P)S Fundamentals (types, applications, limitations)
- security awareness

Assessment methods

Continuous assessment

Teaching methods

practical (lab) exercises, lecture

Language

English

> IT Security: Advanced elective project PR
Information Technologies and Telecommunicationmore

IT Security: Advanced elective project PR

Lector: DI Jochen Hense, MBA, Dipl.-Ing. Heimo Hirner, FH-Prof. DI Dr. Igor Miladinovic, Mag. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Wolfgang Radinger-Peer, MBA, Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc, Bernhard Taufner, BSc, MSc, DI Mathias Tausig

2 SWS
5 ECTS
> IT Security: Advanced elective project PR
Information Technologies and Telecommunicationmore

IT Security: Advanced elective project PR

Lector: DI Jochen Hense, MBA, Dipl.-Ing. Heimo Hirner, FH-Prof. DI Dr. Igor Miladinovic, Mag. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Wolfgang Radinger-Peer, MBA, Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc, Bernhard Taufner, BSc, MSc, DI Mathias Tausig

2 SWS
5 ECTS
> Mobile and Embedded Security VO
IT-Securitymore

Mobile and Embedded Security VO

Lector: FH-Prof. DI Gerhard Engelmann, Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc, DI Mathias Tausig

2 SWS
3 ECTS

Lecture contents

ASN.1
Smartcards
Constrained Networking
Mobile Authentication
RIOT-OS
Secure Firmware Update
Internet-of-Things (IoT-Security)
Overview Embedded C

Assessment methods

Intermediate tests, distance/remote learning, final exam.

Teaching methods

Lectures and remote/distance learning
English slides

Language

English

> Secure Admin Tools ILV
Computer Science and Digital Communicationsmore

Secure Admin Tools ILV

Lector: Dipl.-Ing. Manuel Koschuch, Bakk.techn., Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

3 SWS
6 ECTS

Lecture contents

The course gives an overview and a practical introduction to the most important software tools of a system administrator in the context of secure networks. Students will be enabled to use these tools correctly and securely and to configure them accordingly.
- VPNs
- Hard disk encryption
- SSH
- Mail Security (PGP, S/MIME)
- bash scripting
- Establishment of PKIs
- Introduction to penetration testing

Assessment methods

Continuous assessment
Short tests, exercise interviews

Teaching methods

Practical (lab)-exercises, Lecture

Language

English

> Secure Admin Tools ILV
Computer Science and Digital Communicationsmore

Secure Admin Tools ILV

Lector: Dipl.-Ing. Manuel Koschuch, Bakk.techn., Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc

3 SWS
6 ECTS

Lecture contents

The course gives an overview and a practical introduction to the most important software tools of a system administrator in the context of secure networks. Students will be enabled to use these tools correctly and securely and to configure them accordingly.
- VPNs
- Hard disk encryption
- SSH
- Mail Security (PGP, S/MIME)
- bash scripting
- Establishment of PKIs
- Introduction to penetration testing

Assessment methods

Continuous assessment
Short tests, exercise interviews

Teaching methods

Practical (lab)-exercises, Lecture

Language

English

> Secure Software Development VO
IT-Securitymore

Secure Software Development VO

Lector: DI Thomas Konrad, Dipl.-Ing. Manuel Koschuch, Bakk.techn., Silvia Schmidt, MSc BSc, DI Mathias Tausig

2 SWS
3 ECTS

Lecture contents

* Versioncontrol
* Test Driven Development
* Web Application Security
* Security errors
* Tool for software analysis

Assessment methods

* Final exam
* Grading of the presentations

Teaching methods

* Lessons
* Presentations by student groups

Publications

The publications of Silvia Schmidt written at FH Campus Wien can be found in our publication database, others in the personal web space.